JNU student attacks girl, consumes poison and dies, girl critical at Safdarjung Hospital

New Delhi, July 31 (ANI): A Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) professor has said there is a lot of anger against the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) for initially refusing to admit a critically injured 22-year-old student after a male classmate had attacked her in a classroom at the university on Wednesday.

The 23-year-old male classmate committed suicide after attacking the 22-year-old girl by consuming poison, while the victim remains in critical condition.

The victim has been identified as Roshni and the accused as Akash.

"We are very upset and we are very angry because like Nirbhaya this girl was not taken into AIIMS and was asked to go to Safdarjung Hospital. Now is there some quality control that JNU does not fulfill that students, teachers and karamcharis are not allowed? If the argument is that AIIMS is overloaded, which I agree, then why do you have just Safdarjung? Why not other hospitals close by? I think that that is a major issue which we have to take up," Professor Kamal Mitra Chinoy said here today.

Professor Chinoy also said that Roshni is still in a critical condition and is presently using a breathing apparatus at the hospital. " They were quite worried about her condition," Chinoy added.

Professor Chinoy clarified that he did not doubt the medical excellence of the doctors at AIIMS and Safdarjung amongst others, saying " I salute them for the great medical care and time they spend saving people. I am only making a suggestion for a further link, I am not criticizing them."

Chinoy said that precautionary health facilities must also be bettered at the university.

Contrary to the JNU account of the story, doctors at AIIMS have said that only Akash, the attacker, was brought to the hospital at 12:08p.m. today by the police. Akash was declared dead at 1:15p.m. this afternoon.

"The suspected cause of death is poisoning, but it is still not confirmed. He had minor to moderate injuries but (died) mainly due to poisoning. We could not revive him because he came in very serious condition. The confirmed diagnosis we will only come to know after the post-mortem," Dr. Sanjeev Bhoi said at AIIMS earlier today.

Police said the incident was reported at 11:15 a.m. Reports have suggested that the attack was pre-planned since Akash came armed with an axe and a knife. Police have also recovered a country-made revolver and a bottle of Sulphas from the spot.

Speaking to New Delhi Television (NDTV), Abhishek, a student said: "Akash was very disturbed. He had a country-made gun and threatened students. He was not allowing us to enter the classroom. But somehow we entered. He injured himself before we could do anything."

A fact-finding committee consisting of JNU professors has been formed and will submit its report by Wednesday evening.

According to the police both Akash and Roshani are B.A. students of the School of Language, studying Korean in JNU. The incident took place in room number 213 of the University. (ANI)


Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.