Jayawardene says Sri Lanka has moved on following 'ball-tampering' saga

Sydney, Dec 18(ANI): Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene has strongly defended his team management as the ball tampering saga exploded after the first Test in Hobart, and added the team has moved on.

Speaking after his side crashed to a 137-run loss to Australia at Bellerive, Jayawardene was riled by suggestions his team had made a complaint about alleged incidents involving man of the match Peter Siddle.

Sri Lanka team manager Charith Senanayake had earlier said that International Cricket Council (ICC) match referee Chris Broad had begun investigations into Australia tampering with the ball during yesterday's play.

However, the ICC later said there was no evidence to support ball-tampering claims and Jayawardene was happy to move on.

"It wasn't our management...it's something we saw on television which was shown and that was it, nothing else. Nothing came from out management. We just wanted to make sure the officials saw what we saw on television, simple as that," the Herald Sun quoted Jayawardene, as saying.

"That is fine (the ICC's decision), no problem. It is not something we came up with, it is something we all saw on television and when you zoom in on something like that and they discuss something, obviously they felt it was something suspicious," he added.

"It is pretty good (relations between two countries), it is fine. We will fight it out there on the field and there is no love lost in that, but off the field we are pretty good friends," he said.

Jayawardene added: "If there is something we can have an unofficial chat about it with the players (we will), but it is not a big deal. I think they have got the talent to win matches without doing that kind of stuff, I'm pretty confident about that." (ANI)

Matches