The world economy might make for depressing reading, but the Indian Premier League seems to exist in its own recession- proof bubble.
When the Deccan Chargers franchise defaulted on payments and was liquidated, for a while there were doubts that the IPL would be reduced to eight teams. But the moniker ‘ Indian Paisa League’ was once again justified when one of India’s largest conglomerates, the Sun Group, bought the Hyderabad franchise rights for ` 425 crore 85.5 crore each for five years).
Then, soft drinks major Pepsi became the title sponsor of the league for five years starting this year, shelling out ` 396 crore, almost double what DLF had paid for the first five years.
Satellite TV major STAR India has also come on board, as has Yes Bank, while Vodafone remains constant.
Pepsi also became the official pouring partner’ for eight of the nine franchises, whose other sponsors have seen some movement as well.
Videocon, under their satellite television brand Videocon D2H, have shifted from Kings XI Punjab Mumbai Indians, who have lost the services of Hero as their main sponsor.
Insurance firm Bajaj Allianz, who had sponsored the Rajasthan Royals in the early seasons, has also signed a ` 30 crore deal with the Reliance Industries- owned franchise.
The Pune Warriors India franchise, owned by the Sahara India Pariwar, have a new title sponsor in electron- ics firm Sansui, which replaces automotive major TVS, in a deal reportedly worth ` 10 crore. Underwear brand Lux Cozi, which is associated with the Kings XI Punjab franchise, has also signed up with Pune for ` 5 crore.
No matter what the ups and downs of the market or the performances of the Indian team, the IPL is still a money- spinning bandwagon, and everyone wants to jump on to it.
Indian Paisa LeagueBy Shreyas Sharma | Mail Today – Tue 2 Apr, 2013 11:13 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- IND won by an inn.vs. INDWI1st TestThu, Jul 21, 2016Antigua, West IndiesIndia in West Indies Test ...
- IRE won by 12 runsvs. AFGIRE5th ODITue, Jul 19, 2016Stormont, Belfast, IrelandAfghanistan in Ireland ODI...
- PAK won by 75 runsvs. PAKENG1st TestThu, Jul 14, 2016London, EnglandPakistan in England Test S...
- live match ENG 98/1 (21 Overs)vs. PAKENG2nd TestLIVEPAK 198/10; ENG 589/8(D);Manchester, EnglandPakistan in England Test S...
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSSL1st TestTue, Jul 26, 2016Kandy, Sri LankaWarne-Muralitharan Trophy,...
- vs. NZZIM1st TestThu, Jul 28, 2016Thu, Jul 28, 2016Bulawayo, ZimbabweNew Zealand in Zimbabwe Te...
- vs. INDWI2nd TestSat, Jul 30, 2016Sat, Jul 30, 2016Kingston, Jamaica, West IndiesIndia in West Indies Test ...
1 - 4 of 20