Calcutta/New Delhi: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly feels Sachin Tendulkar needs to get some runs quickly.
“Sachin desperately needs to get runs. He has achieved a lot. He is getting a long rope because of what he has achieved. He should know himself that how he needs to turn it around,” Gangulytold a TV channel.
“As somebody watching it from outside Tendulkar is not performing… I think if I were Tendulkar I would go. But it’s up to him at the present moment. We want to see the great man going with a bat held high and not in terrible form.”
Ganguly also endorsed the idea of “split captaincy” and said Mahendra Singh Dhoni should not be leading the Indian cricket team in all the formats.
Earlier this year, Ganguly had told The Telegraph that he was worried about Dhoni’s workload and the split captaincy issue was the selectors’ call. “I am not saying just ship him off all the formats of the game because India are going into a transition phase and building a new team."
“Sit with Dhoni and ask him what form of cricket he wants to captain. He has done a lot of good things for Indian cricket, but at the present moment, I am just fearing that we will lose him as a player if he continues like this,” Ganguly said on Sunday.
“Keeping is never easy and when you have a bowling attack like ours, which has not performed over a period of time… You keep for hours and then you captain the side and you come out and bat at No. 7… So it’s never easy.”
On Zaheer Khan’s omission, he said: “The Indian team is going through a rebuilding phase, you have to have a plan. My point is that the plan has to be uniform for everyone.”
If I were Tendulkar I would go: Ganguly
Ganguly also endorsed the idea of “split captaincy”.The Telegraph – Mon 10 Dec, 2012 8:38 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- PAK won by 8 wkts.vs. WIPAK3rd T20ITue, Sep 27, 2016Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs West Indies T2...
- AUS won by 9 wkts.vs. IREAUSOne-off ODITue, Sep 27, 2016Benoni, South AfricaAustralia vs Ireland ODI S...
- IND won by 197 runsvs. NZIND1st TestThu, Sep 22, 2016Kanpur, IndiaNew Zealand in India Test ...
- live match BAN 111/2 (24.5 Overs)vs. AFGBAN2nd ODILIVECurrent Run Rate 4.46Mirpur, BangladeshAfghanistan in Bangladesh ...
- Upcoming matchvs. NZIND2nd TestFri, Sep 30, 2016Kolkata, IndiaNew Zealand in India Test ...
- vs. WIPAK1st ODIFri, Sep 30, 2016Fri, Sep 30, 2016Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs West Indies OD...
- vs. AUSSA1st ODIFri, Sep 30, 2016Fri, Sep 30, 2016Centurion, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...