New York, Feb. 11 (ANI): 'Identity Thief' has debuted at the No. 1 spot with a 36.6 million opening weekend, according to studio estimates.
The comedy starring Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy took in a solid opening despite the winter storm that buried much of the Northeast.
Distributor Universal Pictures estimates that the storm might have decreased as much as 10 percent of the movie's business, saying that the film could have made about 40 million dollars in the opening weekend.
'Identity Thief' earned more than industry expectations despite the storm and poor reviews for the comedy, which stars Bateman as a man chasing down a con artist (McCarthy) who has racked up thousands of dollars of charges in his name.
The combination of the actors and the premise of the movie made it a review-proof comedy, Nikki Rocco, Universal's head of distribution, said.
Top 10 movies' faring at the box office:
1. 'Identity Thief,' 36.6 million dollars
2. 'Warm Bodies,' 11.5 million dollars
3. 'Side Effects,' 10 million dollars
4. 'Silver Linings Playbook,' 6.9 million dollars
5. 'Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters,' 5.8 million dollars
6. 'Mama,' 4.3 million dollars
7. 'Zero Dark Thirty,' 4 million dollars
8. 'Argo,' 2.5 million dollars
9. 'Django Unchained,' 2.3 million dollars
10. 'Bullet to the Head,' 2 million dollars (ANI)