Melbourne, (IANS): The International Cricket Council (ICC) has ruled out a window for the lucrative and the highly popular Indian Premier League (IPL) in its Future Tours Programme (FTP), outgoing chief executive Haroon Lorgat said on Wednesday.
Lorgat said giving any concession to the IPL would mean creating windows for other domestic Twenty20 leagues as well.
"The consequence of that (an IPL window) is what do we do with the Big Bash League? What do we do with other premier leagues - Sri Lanka is launching one, Bangladesh has one," said Lorgat, who was here to present Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland the ICC's ODI shield as Australia finished on top of the ODI rankings in the 2011-12 season.
"I know people might say the IPL is the premier league, but once you provide a window for one particular member, you have to be conscious of the fact you may well have to do it for other members. Hence, why we have not been supportive of a window specifically for any one of those domestic leagues," he added.
IPL's clash with the schedule of other countries since the inception of the league in 2008 has been a serious issue for world cricket.
Due to the IPL this year, West Indies players were forced to choose between the IPL and their home Test series against Australia. Next year New Zealand's cricketers, who earn significantly as IPL player compared to their national contracts, will experience a similar situation as they are scheduled to tour England for a Test series that will clash with the second half of the IPL.
Sutherland said national boards are doing what they can to allow their players take part in the IPL.
"I think there's a notional window already for the IPL. I think it exists. There's an inevitability around some overlap and countries are working around that to the best of their ability.
"There are challenges ultimately - it's been raised with clashes from time to time. But I think there's a national window that most countries are working with and around, in order to allow their players the opportunity to play in IPL," Sutherland said.
ICC rules out window for IPL in FTP
Haroon Lorgat said giving any concession to the IPL would mean creating windows for other domestic Twenty20 leagues as well.Yahoo! Cricket – Wed 13 Jun, 2012 8:44 PM IST
- AFG won by 8 wkts.vs. OMNAFG1st Semi FinalFri, Jan 20, 2017Dubai, United Arab EmiratesDesert T20 Challenge, 2017...
- SCO won by 7 wkts.vs. SCOOMNMatch 12Thu, Jan 19, 2017Dubai, United Arab EmiratesDesert T20 Challenge, 2017...
- IND won by 15 runsvs. ENGIND2nd ODIThu, Jan 19, 2017Cuttack, IndiaEngland in India ODI Serie...
- Upcoming matchvs. ZIMSLMatch 5Fri, Jan 20, 2017Paarl, South AfricaTri-Nation Under-19s Tourn...
- Upcoming matchvs. T.B.CAFGFinalFri, Jan 20, 2017Dubai, United Arab EmiratesDesert T20 Challenge, 2017...
- Upcoming matchvs. SLSA1st T20IFri, Jan 20, 2017Centurion, South AfricaSri Lanka in South Africa ...