Sydney, July 31 (ANI): The International Cricket Council (ICC) is reportedly mulling over giving teams more than two failed decision referrals per innings following its embarrassment at the umpiring howlers which twice saved England's Stuart Broad in the first Ashes Test.
However, the board will not scrap or even trim the Decision Review System (DRS), despite controversy over the operation of it in the first two Ashes Tests and the continued opposition to it by the powerful Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
According to ICC chief executive Dave Richardson, informal discussions had already started about an amendment based on the system used for major tennis tournaments in which players are given an additional challenge if matches go longer than expected.
Although the report said that tennis players are given one additional failed challenge if a set goes to a tie-breaker, Richardson suggested that Test cricket teams be given two additional challenges in keeping with the new-ball policy in which a replacement can be used after 80 overs.
Richardson further said that as DRS has been improving all the time being a work in progress, they would be looking into putting forward two failed decision referrals if they manage to improve the protocols with the way they use it, adding that the new idea has been triggered by the events during the first two Ashes Tests.
Despite the possible DRS reform, Richardson declared much of the controversy engulfing the system was a result of the emotion-charged atmosphere surrounding the Ashes, and reiterated his support for it, arguing that teams needed to be more careful in determining when to challenge to ensure they had at least one review in hand in case of a blunder.
Richardson also reiterated his confidence in two of the more contentious aspects of the system: Hot Spot and Hawk-Eye. (ANI)