Bangalore: Virat Kohli rues that a lapse in concentration cut short his innings on Sunday, but nevertheless he is happy to have scored a century.
Speaking at a media conference at the end of the third day’s play, Kohli, who scored 103, revealed that he likes playing under pressure.
The following are excerpts
Feelings on getting a century
It’s always satisfying to get a hundred in Tests. Getting my maiden Test hundred in Adelaide against Australia earlier this year was also special… I think what makes the experience (of scoring a hundred) all the more satisfying is that when you’re being tested as a batsman, when your patience and technique are being tested, it always pleases you if you get a hundred.
If he regrets his dismissal
It was a bit unfortunate that I could not make it a big one... That was the only delivery in my innings when I didn’t look at the bowler’s hand… (Tim) Southee bowled cross-seam and I played for the away moving one. There was a lapse in my concentration. But it’s a lesson for me… Hopefully, when I cross that 100 mark next time, I will not lose my concentration.
ALSO READ: Learning to master the waiting game
The difference between batting at No.3 (in ODIs) and No.5 (in Tests)
It’s very different… The mindset that you need is different, if you’re batting in the top three… You’re ready to go in and be a part of the action. Batting in the middle-order is different. You might be in at the 10th over or you might come in at 200 for three. You might remain padded up for long hours, so you need to concentrate for long hours even before going in to bat.
On whether he has brought about a change in technique
Yes I have... In the first Test, I played too many attacking shots because we hadn’t played any practice match and we were playing a Test after seven months. Personally, I thought it was difficult to adapt suddenly. And then we batted first too. Unless you have played some practice games, you seem to be in a hurry at times. So, I worked on that aspect before this game.
Failure of the Indian top-order
I like playing under pressure … It is under the pressure situations when you have the opportunity to score more runs because the bowler attacks you more. The field is always open. Since the bowler attacks your stumps, it becomes easy for you to strike the ball.
Whether the scale is tilted towards India after the third day’s play
We didn’t start the day well… But now that we look back on the day, after taking nine wickets, we’d like to think that the scale is certainly tilted in our favour, because there are still two more days to go. Today, what would have played in their minds was that they have to score a big total or else we would have it easy. I think they could not handle this pressure. Tomorrow [Monday], our first target will be to wrap the New Zealand innings. Then, we will have a lot of time to chase down the score.
On what would be the key on Monday
I think patience will be key... When you have a lot of time, you don’t have to think about the target. You need to play calmly.
On how the wicket will behave on the fourth day
I don’t think that the wicket has anything in it… Their seam bowlers have bowled well. I think the freshness of the wicket that stays for about an hour at the start is the only factor that we have to deal with if we dismiss them early. The important thing is we have to apply ourselves and show character.
The crowd support
It’s very important for cricketers to have people cheering you. It could help you in situations where things are not going in your favour… If the crowd’s behind you, things could turn around pretty quickly.
I like playing under pressure: Kohli
"It is under the pressure situations when you have the opportunity to score more runs because the bowler attacks you more," Kohli said.The Telegraph – Mon 3 Sep, 2012 11:38 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- AFG won by 2 wkts.vs. AFGBAN2nd ODIWed, Sep 28, 2016Mirpur, BangladeshAfghanistan in Bangladesh ...
- PAK won by 8 wkts.vs. WIPAK3rd T20ITue, Sep 27, 2016Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs West Indies T2...
- AUS won by 9 wkts.vs. IREAUSOne-off ODITue, Sep 27, 2016Benoni, South AfricaAustralia vs Ireland ODI S...
- live match AUS 37/0 (5.3 Overs)vs. AUSSA1st ODILIVECurrent Run Rate 6.72Centurion, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- live match PAK 68/1 (11.5 Overs)vs. WIPAK1st ODILIVECurrent Run Rate 5.74Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs West Indies OD...
- live match IND 239/7 (86 Overs)vs. NZIND2nd TestLIVECurrent Run Rate 2.77Kolkata, IndiaNew Zealand in India Test ...
- Upcoming matchvs. AFGBAN3rd ODISat, Oct 01, 2016Mirpur, BangladeshAfghanistan in Bangladesh ...
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSSA2nd ODISun, Oct 02, 2016Johannesburg, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- Upcoming matchvs. WIPAK2nd ODISun, Oct 02, 2016Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs West Indies OD...