Hazlewood to compete for 'return Ashes' spot following Oz pacers' 'injury pidemic'

Sydney, Sept 13 (ANI): Australian fast bowler Josh Hazlewood has announced that he intended to compete for a spot in the squad for the return Ashes series following a spate of injuries to Australia's young pace brigade.

Although Hazlewood is no stranger to injury, he has been fit and firing for the best part of the last 12 months, with decent form for New South Wales, coupled with strong showings for Australia A in Africa, leading to his call-up for his side's Twenty20 and one-day series in England.

According to News.com.au, although Hazlewood had played just one T20 and bowled only three overs in the rained-out third ODI this week, he is aware that a few handy performances could see him in the mix for an Ashes call-up this summer, adding that it is his ultimate goal to play in the Ashes.

Stating that there would be plenty of opportunities for him as Australian fast bowlers like Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson and Pat Cummins all out with injury at the moment, Hazlewood also said that his plan is to just stay on the field at the moment given that the best part of the last year he has been on the field.

Hazlewood also said that he hoped that his body starts to harden up and he starts getting overs under the belt, adding that one never knows what can happen around the corner. (ANI)

--

Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.

Matches