Haddin says 'no guarantee for Ashes place' despite 'elevated' deputy role

Sydney, May 14 (ANI): Australian Test vice-captain Brad Haddin has said that there are no guarantees that his surprise deputy role may help him earn a place in the Ashes squad

At the same age when wicket-keeping legend Ian Healy retired, the 35-year-old Haddin said that although he is not worried about being a detriment to the team because of his age, he admitted that he is not looking so far ahead as the Ashes, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.

Haddin, who replaced gloveman Matthew Wade as the deputy, dismissed speculations of him getting an Ashes call because of his new position, saying that no player is guaranteed to be in every Test if he does not perform as per expectations.

According to Haddin, the team has to be strict in its rules and selection process as it is the national team and not some under-15 team down the road, adding that the players have to make sure that they perform better to snatch the Ashes urn from the English.

Haddin, who lost the No.1 keeper's tag when left the squad mid-tour early 2012 in the West Indies because of his daughter's illness, further said that the Ashes is the most exciting thing for an Australian cricketer as there is no better theatre or stage than an Ashes campaign.

Stating that he is not threatened by Wade's presence in the squad, the 44-Test veteran said that he hoped to help the younger player regain his talent behind the stumps, adding that he always challenges himself to be the best possible player that he can be.

Wade's poor Indian tour form, Shane Watson's resignation as vice-captain and the need to inject experience ensured Haddin was one of the big winners when selectors unveiled their Ashes squad, the report added. (ANI)

Matches