Government official, wife found dead

New Delhi, Oct 25 (IANS) A government official and his wife were found dead Friday evening, police said.

The bodies of K. Vijay Kumar, 57, and his wife Sita, 51, were recovered from two different rooms of their Kaka Nagar house in south Delhi.

He was working as advisor (cost) in the ministry of food and civil supplies, while Sita was at a senior post in a state-run bank.

"The incident came to light when their 19-year-old daughter Waranya arrived at the two-bedroom house on the first floor around 4.30 p.m. and called police when she got no reply after repeated knocks on the door," said police.

Police said a door was broken open, and Kumar was found lying in a pool of blood in the drawing room with deep wounds on his neck, while his wife was found hanging from the grille of the ventilator in a bedroom.

"No suicide note was recovered from the spot. There was no sign of forced entry into the house, the door was bolted from within. We have registered a case of murder," said Joint Commissioner of Police Vivek Gogia.

Gogia also said that police had formed three teams to probe this case.

"With the help of a forensic team, we have collected all evidence from the house. The CCTV cameras installed in the house were being examined to know of activities that happened there. The call details of the couple are being verified," Gogia said.

Police is also probing the possibility that Sita either killed her husband or got someone to murder him before hanging herself.

Another investigating officer said the couple's relationship had been strained for a while.

Police is also questioning two of the family's servants, hired recently.

Neighbours said the family had been keeping to itself since Friday, hardly opening the door. They said a vegetable vendor had knocked at their door several times in the morning, but no one answered.

Waranya told police that she had gone to Rajasthan with her friends on a two-day trip. On Friday morning, she called her parents repeatedly but got no response.

She informed her father's colleagues, and it was with them that she reached her home.

"For over four years the family had been living in this house, but they hardly spoke to neighbours. They were not interested much in social activities," a neighbour, Arpita, told IANS.


Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.