London, June 16 (ANI): Technology giant Google has reportedly vowed to spend a whopping five million dollars to remove child pornography and abuse from the web through 'hashing' technology depicting each picture with a web 'fingerprint' that can be identified and eliminated.
Google's funding includes last week's one million pounds donated to the British charity firm The Internet Watch Foundation (IWF), 1 million dollars to The US National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children, and another 2 million dollars to Google's Child Protection Technology Fund and similar bodies in other countries, The Independent reports.
Director of communications and public affairs at Google Scott Rubin said that Google has a zero-tolerance attitude to child sexual abuse imagery online, and hoped that the measures taken will help in making the battle a success.
The report said that the Hashing technology will tag known child sexual abuse images and allow Google to identify duplicate images existing elsewhere so that each image can be branded with a unique 'fingerprint' to be identified without anyone having to view them again.
The head of the Internet Watch Foundation Susie Hargreaves said that the best way to tackle offensive content online is by working together to combat child porn on a global platform and the international funding will allow experts across the globe to target images and videos of children being sexually abused with the best possible technology. (ANI)