Gautam Gambhir is not shy of admitting he would love to be India captain.
Speaking to Headlines Today, Gambhir said: “I would relish the opportunity to be Test captain. Who doesn’t want to? But captaincy won’t change my passion for the game.”
Gambhir, the Kolkata Knight Riders captain, also said that franchises should be ‘heavily fined’ if they are unable to control the conduct of their players.
“Somewhere down the line, franchises need to control these things. A certain player from a certain team does these things, the franchise needs to be fined and it has to be fined heavily.” Royal Challengers Bangalore’s Luke Pomersbach was accused of molestation by an American national.
But the IPL-winning captain put up a strong defence of the league and the BCCI, saying: “It is the responsibility of the franchise to control its players. BCCI can’t appoint one person to keep a watch over each player."
Controversy, Thy name is IPL
Assault case against Pomersbach withdrawn
BCCI needs to be transparent and accountable: Maken
BCCI shows its vindictive side ... again!
“Players who have a history of binge drinking and have got into trouble in the past, franchises should impose a curfew on them and they should be sent back to their rooms.”
The IPL also faced allegations of spot-fixing and black money, leading some like BJP MP Kirti Azad to demand a ban on the T20 tournament. But Gambhir put up a stout defence of the BCCI, shifting the onus to franchises.
“We keep blaming the BCCI and the IPL for all these things. A lot of these things can be sorted out if the franchise is strong enough. Whatever we sign for is given, and nothing is given under the table,” he said.
Answering parliamentarians’ demand for a ban, Gambhir said: “I am sure there are a number of other issues for parliament to debate than the IPL.”
Gambhir says that after the kind of reception he has got at Eden Gardens, he now considers himself a Kolkata boy. However, the one thing he cannot do is dance for team co-owner
Shah Rukh Khan. “The one thing I cannot do is dance for SRK. He has succeeded in everything he tried, the only thing he has failed to do is make me dance. And I hope he will not try again.”
Reproduced From Mail Today. Copyright 2012. MTNPL. All rights reserved.
Fine franchises for players’ misconduct: Gambhir
Answering parliamentarians’ demand for a ban, Gambhir said: “I am sure there are a number of other issues for parliament to debate than the IPL.”Mail Today – Fri 1 Jun, 2012 10:38 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- ENG won by 330 runsvs. PAKENG2nd TestFri, Jul 22, 2016Manchester, EnglandPakistan in England Test S...
- IND won by an inn.vs. INDWI1st TestThu, Jul 21, 2016Antigua, West IndiesIndia in West Indies Test ...
- IRE won by 12 runsvs. AFGIRE5th ODITue, Jul 19, 2016Stormont, Belfast, IrelandAfghanistan in Ireland ODI...
- live match AUS 137/6 (48.5 Overs)vs. AUSSL1st TestLIVESL 117/10;Kandy, Sri LankaWarne-Muralitharan Trophy,...
- Upcoming matchvs. NZZIM1st TestThu, Jul 28, 2016Bulawayo, ZimbabweNew Zealand in Zimbabwe Te...
- vs. INDWI2nd TestSat, Jul 30, 2016Sat, Jul 30, 2016Kingston, Jamaica, West IndiesIndia in West Indies Test ...
- vs. PAKENG3rd TestWed, Aug 03, 2016Wed, Aug 03, 2016Birmingham, EnglandPakistan in England Test S...