New Delhi, July 26 (ANI): Minister of New and Renewable Energy Dr. Farooq Abdullah on Friday clarified his statement on food being available at Re 1, and said that his comments have been taken out of context.
"My comments on the cost of a meal in the media have been taken out of context but I realize that what I said may be misconstrued. I regret any hurt this may have caused" he said in a statement issued by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
Farooq Abdullah had earlier said that one can fill his stomach for just Re 1.
"If you want, you can fill your stomach for Re 1 or Rs 100, depending on what you want to eat. We are working to change the life of the poor so they can eat well be healthy and India can progress," he said.
Congress leaders Raj Babbar and Rasheed Masood had earlier claimed of cheap food available at Rs 12 in Mumbai and Rs 5 in Delhi respectively.
Babbar, however, later issued an apology, saying he did not intend to hurt the sentiments of the party or others. His statement came after the ruling Congress Party distanced itself from his remark. (ANI)