England says not taking Oz lightly, despite 'not watchful' claims

London, June 29 (ANI): England has hit back at claims that they are taking their arch rivals Australia lightly for the Ashes, despite reports claiming that no one from coach Andy Flower's back-room team or one of the four national selectors has been to the tourists' match against Somerset at Taunton this week.

According to the Daily Star, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have also made no provisions to get any footage of the match.

However, an England team spokesman has claimed that they had plenty of information already in the bag, adding that their video analyst watched the Australia A squad against Gloucestershire last week and has plenty of footage.

The spokesman further said that the team would not normally watch every game of their rivals.

One-day coach Ashley Giles, who has been drafted in to help the Test squad prepare, has told the players to ignore the headlines around the Australian team and concentrate on their own jobs, and has cautioned them from taking their eye off the ball.

Meanwhile, England cricketer Nick Compton had failed to push his England claims for the Ashes in the second innings at Taunton, scoring just 34 for the hosts before he suffered a dubious LBW off the bowling of Nathan Lyon.

England will finalise their Ashes preparations with a four-day game against Essex at Chelmsford, starting on Sunday, the report added. (ANI)

Matches