'Disappointed' Hussey keen to prove Oz selectors wrong over ODI dumping

Sydney, Jan 15(ANI): Veteran Australian batsman Michael Hussey has claimed he is disappointed after getting axed from the one-day squad for the ongoing one-day series against Sri Lanka, but claimed he understands selectors' long-term thinking behind the decision.

Hussey, who announced his Test retirement earlier this month, was keen to play in the home one-day series against Sri Lanka and the West Indies before stepping down from the international ranks altogether, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.

However, with national selectors already sizing up candidates for the 2015 World Cup, Hussey was told his services were no longer required, despite the 37-year-old plundering 527 runs at an average of 75.3 in his six Tests this summer, the paper said.

Hussey was sorely missed in Australia's eight-wicket loss to Sri Lanka at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.

But Hussey's axing is good news for the Perth Scorchers, who will welcome back the star veteran with open arms for Wednesday night's Twenty20 semi-final showdown against the Melbourne Stars at the WACA Ground, the paper further reported.

Hussey said he was looking forward to play for the Scorchers and would be ready to play any role his team wants to him to. (ANI)


Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.