Rajkot: Moments after India won the first Test against England in Ahmedabad on November 19, skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni made his displeasure at the pitch pretty obvious as he questioned the reason for not being provided a wicket that assisted turn from ball one.
In Rajkot, Dhoni once again had to contend with the handiwork of the same man — BCCI’s West Zone curator Dhiraj Parsana.
Although the former Test cricketer isn’t allowed to talk about the comments made by Dhoni, there was a clear sign of disappointment as he spoke to Mail Today about Dhoni, his continuous tussle with curators across the country and on who he feels is the best skipper he has worked with.
Dhoni slams Motera wicket
“I am not in a position to comment on what Dhoni had to say about the Ahmedabad wicket. But I didn’t expect a smart and intelligent cricketer like Dhoni, who has done so well for India not only as captain but also as a player, to come up with the comments he made in the post-match press conference,” Parsana said.
“Although I wasn’t present there, I must say that we should be trusted with wicketmaking just as cricketers should be trusted with what they do best – play the game. I don’t think any cricketer would appreciate it if I go ahead and tell them that I don’t like the way they play the game and I would want them to brush up their skills.”
Parsana says he has never had an interaction with Dhoni on pitches.
“I have never interacted with Dhoni and he has never spoken to me about wickets. Every time before a match, he has walked in, checked the wickets and gone into the dressing room,” he said.
This is where Parsana rates former skipper Sourav Ganguly very highly and wishes that India keep producing such intelligent and knowledgeable captains.
“Ganguly always had an opinion about everything. But you couldn’t find one point where you could cut him off. All that he said always made sense. He would fight for the team and if he had anything against any curator or groundsman, he would go up to them and speak to them, making his displeasure known. This made working with him easier,” he said.
Dhoni’s comments after Motera Test hurt curator
Dhoni had said he doesn't want to see a wicket like the one at Motera in November after India had defeated England in the first Test.By Baidurjo Bhose | Mail Today – Sat 12 Jan, 2013 9:37 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- Match abandonedvs. INDWI2nd T20ISun, Aug 28, 2016Lauderhill, Florida, UsaIndia vs West Indies T20 S...
- AUS won by 2 wkts.vs. AUSSL3rd ODISun, Aug 28, 2016Rangiri, Sri LankaAustralia in Sri Lanka ODI...
- WI won by 1 runvs. INDWI1st T20ISat, Aug 27, 2016Lauderhill, Florida, UsaIndia vs West Indies T20 S...
- live match NZ 38/3 (16 Overs)vs. NZSA2nd TestLIVESA 481/8(D);Centurion, South AfricaNew Zealand in South Afric...
- Upcoming matchvs. PAKENG3rd ODITue, Aug 30, 2016Nottingham, EnglandPakistan in England ODI Se...
- vs. AUSSL4th ODIWed, Aug 31, 2016Wed, Aug 31, 2016Rangiri, Sri LankaAustralia in Sri Lanka ODI...
- vs. PAKENG4th ODIThu, Sep 01, 2016Thu, Sep 01, 2016Leeds, EnglandPakistan in England ODI Se...