New Delhi: Shikhar Dhawan hit 187 on Test debut against Australia, before amassing 311 runs from 10 matches in the Indian Premier League for Sunrisers Hyderabad. If you thought he had done enough, he went on to score 363 runs in five matches in the ICC Champions Trophy, including two hundreds and a half- century.
VVS Laxman — Dhawan’s mentor in the IPL franchise — feels that the left-hander is going through a purple patch and he should capitalise on it by scoring tons of runs.
“When you hit a purple patch, it means that you are scoring consistently and your mind is full of positive thoughts. You feel there is nothing that you can’t achieve. It is a great space to be in and good batsmen capitalise on it,” Laxman told MAIL TODAY. “In cricket, or any other sport, there will be times when nothing goes your way and there will be times when everything goes your way. So when you are in form, you want to make the best of it and not be complacent or over-confident. It is great to see Dhawan do that. He should pile up lot of runs and while he does that, the team will always benefit,” he said.
Shikhar Dhawan wins golden bat
Champions Trophy: The top performers
Having watched Dhawan over the years, Laxman feels that the Delhi batsman prides wearing the India cap and that attitude has helped as talent was never an issue with the opener.
“I think he has become more mature. Dhawan always had amazing talent and he is a great striker of the ball, but the difference I find in him now is that he is valuing his wicket a lot more. He confessed that when he played for India earlier and didn’t get going, he was really disappointed. So he wanted to come back and score a lot of runs in domestic cricket,” the 38-year-old said.
Laxman feels that while Dhawan always played aggressive cricket, he has evolved into a player who refuses to throw his wicket away.
“In the IPL this year, he played some good knocks, but didn’t throw away his wicket. Also in the debut hundred against Australia, he was playing percentage strokes where the risk-reward ratio was in his favour."
“His shot selection has been brilliant and this augurs well not only for him, but also for Indian cricket as you need an opener who can play aggressively as well as value his wicket to play long innings,” Laxman signed off.
Reproduced from Mail Today. Copyright 2013. MTNPL. All rights reserved.
Dhawan values his wicket a lot more now: Laxman
Laxman feels that Dhawan is going through a purple patch and should not get complacent.By Baidurjo Bhose | Mail Today – Tue 25 Jun, 2013 11:20 AM IST
- RAJ won by 4 wkts.vs. RAJSRHMatch 4Fri, Apr 18, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- KXIP won by 6 wkts.vs. KXIPCHEMatch 3Fri, Apr 18, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- BLR won by 8 wkts.vs. BLRDELMatch 2Thu, Apr 17, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. MUMBLRMatch 5Sat, Apr 19, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- Upcoming matchvs. DELKOLMatch 6Sat, Apr 19, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- Upcoming matchvs. KXIPRAJMatch 7Sun, Apr 20, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
1 - 4 of 20