New Delhi, Aug. 31 (ANI): Hours after the Juvenile Justice Board declared the youngest accused in the December 16, 2012 gang-rape case, guilty of all charges and sent him to a reformatory home for three years, women and girls here expressed their disappointment and demanded immediate reconsideration of the verdict.
Janice, a college student, said the punishment is very less because when the accused committed such a crime, he was fully conscious of it.
"I think the government should reconsider this, three years is very less for a crime like rape," she said.
Another college student Sonam said that if they are looking at the age of the person and giving the punishment, they should look at the crime as well.
A working woman, Cristina, said she does not agree with the verdict and the punishment should have been more for a crime like rape.
Neha, another college student, said: "He should have been hanged or imprisoned for life. Three years is very less for a crime like rape. I think a 17-year old boy completely knows what he is doing."
The parents of the 23-year-old girl, who was assaulted and raped by six men in a moving bus, expressed their displeasure with the verdict and said that they would challenge the ruling.
"This kind of justice is meaningless, unacceptable. If the accused gets only three years for rape and murder, he might as well be allowed to go free," said the victim's mother.
The girl's family had asked for the death penalty for all six men accused of the barbaric attack and said the juvenile should be tried as an adult as a special case, given the sheer depravity of the crime.
The fatal attack on the 23-year-old physiotherapy intern provoked national outrage and impelled an overhaul of archaic laws to punish sexual crimes against women.
The juvenile was one of the six accused arrested in the case. While the juvenile faced inquiry before the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB), the four adult accused are being tried before a fast track court.
The 23-year-old paramedical student was raped, beaten and tortured by six men on a moving bus in South Delhi area on December 16 last year.
The victim later died of internal injuries in a Singapore hospital two weeks later. (ANI)