Delhi Court orders in-camera hearing of gang rape case accused after chaotic scenes(Update: Delhi gang rape)

New Delhi, Jan. 7 (ANI): A Delhi court on Monday ordered the in-camera hearing of the December 16 gang rape-cum-murder case of a 23-year-old medical student.

The latest development in this regard took place after drama and chaos during the pre-trial proceedings for the five men who have been accused of raping and killing the young student.

Hearing the case, the court earlier in the day witnessed heated arguments between a lawyer, who sought to defend the accused, and other advocates, who vehemently objected to it even as the accused could not be produced inside the overcrowded courtroom.

The five accused --Ram Singh, Mukesh, Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Akshay Thakur, could not be produced in the overcrowded courtroom, jam-packed with media persons, lawyers and police personnel.

The court yesterday took cognisance of the chargesheet against the five accused under Sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 376 (2)(g) (gang rape), 377 (unnatural offences), 395 (dacoity), 396 (murder in dacoity), 394 (hurting in dacoity), 201 (destruction of evidence), 120-B (conspiracy), 34 (common intention) and 412 (dishonestly receiving stolen property) of the IPC.

The sixth accused, who claims that he is 17, will be presented before a Juvenile Justice Board, which has already summoned his school principal to determine his exact age.

According to law, if school documents establish a minor's age as genuine, the juvenile will not be put through a medical test to confirm his age. The Delhi Police is reportedly keen for the minor to be put through a bone test to check his age.

If the controversy over his age is not resolved, then he could be directed to undergo a bone ossification test, which can provide the approximate age of the accused.

The victim's father has demanded that the juvenile should be hanged like the other five accused.

The victim, a physiotherapy student, was brutally raped and assaulted in a moving bus on the night of December 16, 2012. She died of her injuries on December 29, 2012 in the multi-specialty Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore.

Her male friend, who was accompanying her that day, was also assaulted by the accused and both of them were thrown out of the bus. (ANI)


Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.