Day after: Family goes silent, cops clueless

A brilliant student who took great interest in sport and co-curricular activities, Anahita Jha ' daughter of Vimlendra Jha, director, global resources of Tata Corus (formally known as Tata Steel Europe Limited) ' had everything going for her. Or so it seemed.

The sudden death of the 16-year-old girl of Loyola School, who chose the noose to end her life on Thursday evening, has left her friends and family shocked.

While her relatives have gone into mute mode, refusing to say what might have prompted the Class X student to kill herself, friends and classmates described her as "lovely", "childish" but a "little temperamental".

"I was shocked to hear the news. She was so childish and playful. I never imagined that she would take such a drastic step," rued Ankita, who used to attend private coaching at Bistupur along with Anahita.

Several sympathisers, including senior officials of Tata Steel, and friends and relatives of the Jha family came to their CH Area residence in Bistupur on Friday to bid final farewell to the teen. Almost all were in tears when Anahita set out for her last journey.

The girl was cremated at Subernarekha burning ghat late in the afternoon after her father arrived from London. A post-mortem was conducted at MGM Medical College's mortuary after police registered a case on the statement given by Anahita's mother, Sriya Jha. Report will come next week.

Officer in charge of Bistupur police station A.K. Yadav could say why Anahita, the elder of Vimlendra's two children, committed suicide. "The deceased's kin rushed her to Tata Main Hospital's emergency ward in a critical condition on Thursday evening. The doctors made frantic efforts to save her but failed in the end. Initial investigations revealed that she hanged herself. However, we cannot say why did she commit suicide," Yadav said.

A police officer, associated with the case, said on condition of anonymity that the 16-year-old had a bad temper. "She would get angry on petty issues and lose her cool. But then she would return to her normal self within minutes. However, this does not say anything about what drove her to end her life. We are yet to find the reason," he said.

Ankita agreed that Anahita was a bit temperamental. "But it was because of her childish nature. She used to smile a lot but would also get extremely upset if such a situation arose. She was a brilliant student and used to talk a lot with our coaching mates," Ankita recalled.

Father Victor Misquith, principal of Loyola School, described Anahita as a good student. "She was not only good academic-wise, but used to also regularly take part in extracurricular activities," he said while expressing condolence.

Deputy superintendent of police Rajkishore Prasad said a maid had first spotted Anahita hanging from the fan. "The maid had gone to Anahita's room to keep some clothes. The door was ajar and as she entered, she found the girl hanging. Her screams brought the other occupants of the house rushing to the room," he said, adding that the incident occurred around 7.30pm when the girl's grandparents were present at the house but her mother had gone out.


Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.