Dalmiya says Raina-Jadeja spat a thing of the past

Suresh Raina and Ravindra Jadeja’s onfield spat during their match against West Indies had grabbed more attention than India beating the host team by 102 runs last week. But on Tuesday, interim BCCI chief Jagmohan Dalmiya confirmed that it was now a closed chapter.

Having sought a report from manager M. V. Sridhar, Dalmiya said on Tuesday that the two players had apologised and the Board of Control for Cricket in India ( BCCI) wouldn’t take any action against them.

“It is a closed chapter now. Both Raina and Jadeja spoke to the manager and expressed regret over their actions. They have also promised that they wouldn’t repeat it in the future. So the BCCI won’t take any disciplinary action on the players,” Dalmiya told Mail Today.

The incident took place after Raina failed to take Sunil Narine’s catch on two occasions.

Jadeja, after dismissing Narine, rushed towards Raina and the duo exchanged a few harsh words before skipper Virat Kohli intervened. But once the match ended, Raina was seen walking up to Jadeja, putting his hand around his shoulder and trying to explain the situation.

Dalmiya also confirmed that the BCCI had asked Cricket South Africa ( CSA) to rework the itinerary of India’s tour to that country.

The Board feels that the gap between the second and third Test is too long and reducing it would allow India to finish the tour earlier.

“We have told them that if the schedule can be changed a bit, it would be really helpful. We feel that with the second Test ending on January 6, we could start the third earlier than January 15. CSA agreed to rework the itinerary and said that they would get back to us,” he said.

However, he didn’t divulge whether the BCCI had also requested CSA to reduce the seven- match ODI series to a five- match rubber.

“They are working on the schedule and once they finalise it, we will know the exact number of matches,” he said.


Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.