Court scan on JU math teachers

The high court on Thursday directed Jadavpur University to submit within two weeks documents related to the appointment of mathematics teachers in 2004.

The division bench of Chief Justice A.K. Mishra and Justice Joymalya Bagchi passed the order following a petition by the head of the mathematics department, K. Das.

Appearing for Das, advocate Arunava Ghosh submitted that the authorities had ignored better candidates while appointing eight teachers for the department in 2004.

"In an advertisement published on February 9, 2004, the university had invited applications from candidates with good academic career and at least 55 per cent marks in MSc. But even those who had scored 56 per cent in the school-leaving exam and 44 per cent marks in graduation were appointed," Ghosh submitted, seeking a probe into the issue.

VC gheraoed

Engineering students of Jadavpur University gheraoed VC Shouvik Bhattacharya for an hour on Thursday to protest the alleged lack of student representatives in the placement cell.

--

Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.

Matches