Guwahati, Jan 23 (IANS) The Gauhati High Court has asked the CBI to carry out a fresh probe into a case of land grabbing in Assam in which cabinet minister Khor Sing Engti was allegedly involved.
A division bench of Chief Justice A.K. Goel and Justice A.K. Goswami asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Tuesday to submit within three months a report over the incident in Karbi Anglong district.
The court instructed the district's superintendent of police to ensure security to one family whose land was allegedly grabbed in 2010.
Engti holds the portfolios of veterinary and animal husbandry, mines and minerals and hill area development.
According to the allegations submitted before the court, the minister incited a mob to attack a family to grab their land.
The incident took place in October 2010 when two girls of the complainant family were brutally beaten up by goons. They were rescued by paratroopers passing by in the area.
The complainant family alleged police failed to take prompt action against the minister.
"The court took up the case after the victims wrote a letter to the chief justice last year. Since there is an allegation against a minister, we sought a high-level investigation into the case. Earlier, a report on the police investigation said they did not conduct the investigation properly," said advocate Suman Shyam, appointed as amicus curiae by the court.
The Assam Human Rights Commission took up the matter last year and sought an inquiry report from police.