Corinthians await Tottenham bid for Paulinho

Sao Paulo, June 18 (IANS) Corinthians says it is expecting English Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur to make an offer for Brazil international midfielder Paulinho.

The Brazilian club's deputy director Duilio Monteiro Alves said Monday that all offers for the 24-year-old would be considered during the European summer transfer window, reports Xinhua.

"We know that Tottenham are interested but there is nothing official yet. We look forward to the next few days to talk about concrete facts," Alves told local media.

"The intention of the club is for him to stay, but let's wait to see what happens. If it's good for him, good for Corinthians, we will make a decision."

Paulinho has been one of the first players picked by Luiz Felipe Scolari since the 64-year-old replaced Mano Menezes as national coach last November.

Despite playing primarily as a defensive midfielder, Paulinho has shown his innate attacking instincts by scoring in two of Brazil's past three internationals against England and Japan.

He was a key member of the Corinthians side that won the Copa Libertadores-FIFA Club World Cup double last year.

Paulinho has also been linked with moves to Roma and Inter Milan.


Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.