Compton out of Ashes opener as England announces 13-man squad

London, July 7 (ANI): England cricketer Nick Compton has reportedly been dropped for the first Ashes Test at Trent Bridge, after the announcement of the 13-man squad for the series starting from July 10.

Compton's exclusion comes as no great surprise after he was left out of England's warm-up game with Essex last week, with Joe Root being promoted to opening batsman alongside captain Alastair Cook from the number five spot, the Mirror reports.

The report further said that Root would open for the first time in a Test, on Ashes debut, having previously batted exclusively in the middle order for his country, adding that star batsman Kevin Pietersen, out of action for three months after injuring his knee in New Zealand last month, will be making his Test return after his selection in the squad.

Confirming that first-choice bowlers Stuart Broad and Graeme Swann are 100 percent fit for selection for their home Tests after their respective injury scares at Chelmsford, national selector Geoffrey Miller said that they are satisfied with the preparations so far for the first Test, with both Broad and Swann recovering well.

According to Miller, the team, who is eagerly anticipating the start of the series, will continue with their hard work over the next few days, adding that an exciting period of cricket is coming up against Australia.

Miller further said that the team needs to be aware that they will need to play to their full potential throughout the entire Investec Ashes Series if they are to retain the Ashes urn.

The only really surprise is the inclusion of Graham Onions as an extra-pace bowling option, the report added. (ANI)

--

Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.

Matches