New Delhi: Even though Rajkumar Sharma is impressed with Virat Kohli’s captaincy, he feels that his ward should try to learn as much as he can from Mahendra Singh Dhoni as long as the man with the Midas touch is at the helm of affairs.
A hamstring injury to Dhoni during the tri-series in the West Indies resulted in Kohli’s promotion to captaincy. Kohli did a terrific job by leading the team to the final, before Dhoni took over in the final. And Sharma feels that Dhoni is the ideal man to lead the team.
Sharma said that even though he is impressed with the Delhi lad’s leadership skills, he wants Kohli to concentrate on his role as Dhoni’s deputy.
Magnificent Dhoni snatches trophy from Sri Lanka
Rasool gets maiden call-up, Kohli to lead India in Zimbabwe
Would love to have Dhoni's calmness and composure: Kohli
“I have been watching him in the West Indies and I think he has done a good job. But I still feel that Dhoni is the best man to lead India. Till the time Dhoni is playing, Kohli should be his deputy and learn as much as he can from the man who has brought so much glory to India,” he said.
While no two captains are the same, Sharma feels that Kohli is more in the Sourav Ganguly mould.
“Kohli is not only an aggressive skipper, but also an aggressive person by nature. And I am all for that, provided Kohli doesn’t cross the line. I feel Kohli is more like Ganguly as a skipper when compared to the calmer Dhoni,” he said.
While Dhoni was going through a rough phase after losing to England and Australia last year, there were calls for making Kohli the skipper. Others felt he was too young to be handed the responsibility. His coach, though, begs to differ.
“Age has nothing to do with captaincy and I don’t think it is the right approach. Handing captaincy is more about evaluating how good a person is when it comes to analysing situations and reacting to them. It has more to do with leading the team by example,” Sharma said.
Kohli enjoys a reputation of having a flamboyant lifestyle off the field, but his coach feels it is a thing of the past.
Reproduced from Mail Today. Copyright 2009. MTNPL. All rights reserved.
Coach feels Kohli should keep learning from Dhoni
While no two captains are the same, Kohli's coach Rajkumar Sharma feels his ward is more in the Sourav Ganguly mould.By Baidurjo Bhose | Mail Today – Fri 12 Jul, 2013 9:16 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- AUS won by 117 runsvs. NZAUS3rd ODIFri, Dec 09, 2016Melbourne, AustraliaChappell-Hadlee Trophy, 20...
- AUS won by 116 runsvs. NZAUS2nd ODITue, Dec 06, 2016Canberra, AustraliaChappell-Hadlee Trophy, 20...
- AUS won by 68 runsvs. NZAUS1st ODISun, Dec 04, 2016Sydney, AustraliaChappell-Hadlee Trophy, 20...
- live match IND 451/7 (142 Overs)vs. ENGIND4th TestLIVEENG 400/10;Mumbai, IndiaEngland in India Test Seri...
- vs. PAKAUS1st TestThu, Dec 15, 2016Thu, Dec 15, 2016Brisbane, AustraliaPakistan in Australia Test...
- vs. ENGIND5th TestFri, Dec 16, 2016Fri, Dec 16, 2016Chennai, IndiaEngland in India Test Seri...
- vs. BANNZ1st ODISun, Dec 25, 2016Sun, Dec 25, 2016Christchurch, New ZealandBangladesh in New Zealand ...