Cloud computing has been a buzzword for a few years now. But in 2012 it has really taken off. Initially only adopted by small and medium businesses the trend is slowly catching on with bigger companies as well.
The Wall Street Journal reported in July this year that eight out of 10 Fortune 500 companies are already deploying cloud services on their IT infrastructure. Cheap hardware, affordable connectivity and more reliable cloud computing solutions are fuelling the growth of the cloud.
Questions about cloud security may continue to linger but that hasn’t stopped CIOs from deploying cloud-based services. The biggest adopters of cloud computing continue to be SMBs who derive maximum value due to its pay-per-user business model. Larger companies see value in spending more on the cloud when they are getting rid of legacy systems and have the opportunity to move to something new.
The potential of computing on the cloud is huge and it is expected to touch $55 billion by 2014 and $241 billion by 2020. Unless there is a huge security catastrophe because of a hacker attack, the cloud is here to stay, and continue to grow.
Top Tech Stories of the Year
- 反擊紫光，要靠「台灣少年兵」！社會觀察 - Wed 16 Dec, 2015 1:53 PM IST
- 一歪入魂社會觀察 - Fri 14 Aug, 2015 2:11 PM IST
- 烏來的崩毀 不是天災是人禍？社會觀察 - Wed 12 Aug, 2015 10:00 AM IST
- 假藉新民意的冒牌貨社會觀察 - Mon 29 Dec, 2014 12:41 PM IST
- 80年前的林百貨 科技先進 中華日報 - Thu 27 Jun, 2013 7:45 PM IST
- 關子嶺民宅地基塌 冒出湧泉令人心驚中廣 - Tue 25 Jun, 2013 2:33 PM IST
- 2012台灣國際文化創意產業博覽會 美學爭豔 年度主題館與國際區吸引大量人潮公共消息 - Fri 19 Oct, 2012 4:23 PM IST
- 文資三十年 人與土地的回顧與前瞻公共消息 - Fri 10 Aug, 2012 7:09 AM IST
- 社群新聞／大台北同步停班課 網友譏沒首長敢決定Yahoo奇摩 - Tue 19 Jun, 2012 3:31 PM IST
- 蘋果VS. 唯冠iPad 商標爭戰 掌握智財權小蝦米扳倒大鯨魚能力雜誌 - Mon 11 Jun, 2012 10:39 AM IST
- 最新！10:35發生規模6.1地震Yahoo奇摩 - Sun 26 Feb, 2012 8:20 AM IST
- 台電澄清周刊報導「台電提高核廢貯存密度 非核家園跳票」之說明公共消息 - Wed 7 Dec, 2011 3:21 PM IST
- 國父社會觀察 - Thu 13 Oct, 2011 9:16 AM IST
- 民宿walker 南投自然系民宿 綠林環繞好自在Taipei Walker - Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:04 AM IST
- 奇美將邀日震災學子遊台 看上台24線自由時報 - Wed 12 Oct, 2011 1:57 AM IST
Trudging through the trail of 2012 tech stories and yanking out the best was an onerous task. After much scrutiny, we have unearthed the absolute best.By Nelson Moses | Yahoo! India News – Mon 26 Nov, 2012 12:50 PM IST
From shaking up the very foundations of the Indian government to stirring up unseemly controversies, from showing incredible courage in the face of extreme adversities to losing a reputation built over years of hard work in just a blink of an eye, from setting the electoral hustings afire with golden speeches to getting into trouble for not speaking at all, there were many 'newsmakers' in 2012 who caught the common man's imagination. Some made it for stellar reasons, others for all there is wrong with the society. Here are 12 'newsmakers' that deserve a mention. More »
Trying to pick twelve travel destinations in India is a little like choosing the twelve best feathers on a peacock’s train, but pick we must. The most dramatic phenomenon we’ve observed in 2012 is the rising number of Indians choosing their own country for a great holiday. At one end of the spectrum, they are hitchhiking and backpacking. At the other they are patronising the most luxurious hotels and resorts once reserved for tourists brandishing wads of foreign exchange. Keen to experiment, they are experiencing everything from scuba-diving to cycling. Many are taking to wildlife and landscape photography with a passion. Here’s our selection of the 12 most captivating Indian holiday destinations of 2012. Feel free to argue but, most importantly, get up and pack! More »
It was an eventful year in the world of finance and business, one that actively involved all three actors: the government, people and even the common man. From violent employee agitations to controversial reform proposals and volatile economic indicators, we compile the twelve defining news events of 2012. More »