Clarke's says Arthur case 'not at all' distracting for him, Oz

Johannesburg, July 18 (ANI): Australian captain Michael Clarke has dismissed reports of a suggestion of a rift in the touring Ashes side following the controversial dismissal of former coach Mickey Arthur, saying that the issue is not at all distracting for him and his team.

Arthur, who was sacked 16 days before the first Test at Trent Bridge, has claimed substantial damages, and leaked documents in Australia allegedly said that he had described Clarke's former vice-captain Shane Watson as 'a cancer' in the side, Sport24 reports.

Even as the second Ashes Test at Lord's is set to begin, Clarke however, denied that Arthur's alleged comments will have any effect on their side at Lord's, which Australia must win to level the five-match series, adding that he is now looking forward to move ahead by having a successful performance from himself and his men.

Praising Arthur's successor Darren Lehmann, Clarke said that Lehmann had been instrumental in galvanising a team who lost the first Test by only 14 runs after an awful start to their tour and a flop show in the ICC Champions Trophy, topped by the suspension of batsman David Warner.

Stating that the Australians have shown their renewed might over the past five days playing at Nottingham, the skipper further said that they would like to continue with their show at Lord's, adding that they are focused on playing the game with full enjoyment.

Meanwhile, Clarke said that Australia is proud of their record at the headquarters of world cricket, where they lost only one Test in the 20th century, and their spirited performance in Nottingham, adding that it should inspire them to do even better. (ANI)

--

Did you know that you can get stories like this on the Yahoo mail app?
Download it here.

Matches