China sacks ten officials over 'sex video extortion' scandal

London, Jan 26 (ANI): Chinese authorities have sacked ten officials as a part of a widening investigation into a sex tape extortion scandal in Chongqing.

China's Xinhua news agency said the men were all allegedly filmed by a 'criminal ring', which then blackmailed them.

Senior Chongqing official Lei Zhengfu was fired last year after he featured in a sex video.

According to the BBC, he was said to have been entrapped by a construction firm.

The 10 sacked officials include party and government officials in the southwestern city as well as executives in state-owned companies.

The state-run media report said that an investigation into the allegations of extortion had uncovered a "criminal ring" which had "hired women to seduce local officials, covertly filmed their sexual acts and used the videos as tools of extortion".

The investigation is part of a wide-ranging anti-corruption drive in Chongqing and across China, in response to rising public anger at official impropriety. (ANI)


Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.