Suspended cricketer Ajit Chandila told a Delhi court on Monday that there was no evidence of his alleged links with either underworld dons Dawood Ibrahim or Chhota Shakeel and he has been falsely implicated in the IPL spot-fixing scandal.
Arguing on the bail plea of Chandila, who is presently in judicial custody, his counsel said he was a successful cricketer and the police have not been able to place any evidence that he had any intention to commit such a crime.
“There is no link with the alleged perpetrators that is Dawood Ibrahim and Chhota Shakeel. I am a sportsperson. Two of the other sportspersons ( Sreesanth and Ankeet Chavan) have been granted bail. I was playing for Rajasthan Royals. I am a successful cricketer. They are falsely implicating me. I was performing well. This is a false case just to implicate me,” advocate Rakesh Kumar, appearing for Chandila, told Additional Sessions Judge Dharmesh Sharma.
The court was hearing the bail pleas of nine accused, including Chandila. During the arguments, Chandila’s counsel told the court that provisions of the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) were mischievously added by the Special Cell of Delhi Police so they cannot get bail.
He argued that police was not able to satisfy another trial court, which granted bail to 18 accused in the case, as to why provisions of MCOCA were invoked.
Besides Chandila, the court also heard the bail pleas of alleged bookies Jitender Kumar Jain, Ashwani Agarwal, Ramesh Vyas, Deepak Kumar, Sunil Bhatia, Firoz Farid Ansari, ex-Ranji player Baburao Yadav and Chandra Prakash Jain alias Chandresh Jain, who was said to be accepting bets in the name of Jupiter.
Public prosecutor Rajiv Mohan would advance his arguments on the bail pleas on August 30, the next date of hearing.
During the arguments, senior advocate Hariharan, appearing for Jain, claimed there was no evidence that his client was Jupiter and said he was arrested on the basis of statements by two other accused.
Chandila says he has no links with underworldMail Today – Tue 27 Aug, 2013 8:56 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- AUS won by 23 runsvs. AUSIREOne-off ODIThu, Aug 27, 2015Stormont, Belfast, IrelandAustralia in Ireland ODI S...
- SA won by 62 runsvs. NZSA3rd ODIWed, Aug 26, 2015Durban, South AfricaNew Zealand in South Afric...
- IND won by 278 runsvs. INDSL2nd TestThu, Aug 20, 2015Colombo, Sri LankaIndia in Sri Lanka Test Se...
- live match IND 21/3 (8.1 Overs)vs. INDSL3rd TestLIVESL 201/10; IND 312/10;Colombo, Sri LankaIndia in Sri Lanka Test Se...
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSENGOne-off T20IMon, Aug 31, 2015Cardiff, EnglandAustralia in England T20 S...
- vs. AUSENG1st ODIThu, Sep 03, 2015Thu, Sep 03, 2015Southampton, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...
- vs. AUSENG2nd ODISat, Sep 05, 2015Sat, Sep 05, 2015London, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...