New Delhi, May 30 (IANS) A Delhi court Thursday issued notices to all accused in the 2G spectrum case based on a plea by the CBI, seeking to call 17 more prosecution witnesses.
Special CBI Judge O.P. Saini sought the responses of all the accused by July 3 after Special Public Prosecutor U.U. Lalit told the court that their testimonies were required to be recorded to arrive at the truth.
He further told the court that some documents regarding a few transactions of money had been received from banks and that these witnesses were required to be examined in that regard.
Lalit said: "Unless and until we have this part (about money transaction) coming from the top, I do not think the task will be complete."
The CBI sought to call witnesses including a former advisor to the TRAI, some bank officials and Central Forensic Science Laboratory experts.
The CBI had recorded a statement of Reliance Group's Anil Ambani under Section 161 of the CrPC during the probe into the case but it was not placed before the court earlier as he was not arraigned as a witness in the case, the prosecution added.
The CBI also moved an application before the court seeking to recall prosecution witness Nitin Jain, an official of the Department of Telecommunications (DoT), whose statement has already been recorded saying there "appears to be slight inconsistency" in his testimony regarding the cut-off date.
The judge said he would decide July 3 as to whether it would seek a reply from the accused, based on the CBI plea, seeking to recall Jain as a witness in the case.