Boe replaces Jongjit in Awadhe Warriors

New Delhi, Aug 3 (IANS) Olympic silver medallist Mathias Boe of Denmark Saturday was bagged by Awadhe Warriors as a replacement for banned Thai player Maneepong Jongjit for the upcoming $1 million Indian Badminton League (IBL).

The IBL governing council ratified the decision following a request from the Warriors to pick up the former men's doubles World No.1 out of the reserve list of players who went unsold at the players auction.

Commenting on the decision, Awadhe Warriors' team official Abhijit Sarkar said: "We are delighted to bag one of the best doubles players in the world. I'm confident Mathias Boe will be a great asset for us."

The World No.3 Boe said he is looking forward to the Aug 14-31 tourney.

"India is a great badminton country with so many fans and I look forward to be part of the event. I have been involved in the IBL from the beginning and have made myself available for the league this year," said the 33-year-old, who bagged the silver at London Olympics last year with partner Carsten Mogensen.

IANS had reported Friday that Boe's base price was halved by IBL to $25,000 on his request.

The 33-year-old Dane had vowed never to play in India after he went unsold in the players' auction July 22.

"Didn't get sold in IBL. I'm really pissed, as I have supported the event all the way through and almost left the national team to participate. After Thomas Cup next year, I will never set my feet in India again or support any events from their side," Boe had tweeted after the auction.

--

Did you know that you can get stories like this on the Yahoo mail app?
Download it here.

Matches