Although MS Dhoni’s fixation about not making too many changes to the playing XI is well known, his decision to drop Shami Ahmed and rope in Ashoke Dinda and not give the in- form Cheteshwar Pujara an opportunity in the opening ODI here on Friday did raise a few eyebrows.
If that wasn’t enough, he came to the postmatch press conference and said had he stayed at the wicket for a couple of overs more, India would have won the match.
This has earned Dhoni the wrath of former India captain Bishan Singh Bedi.
“The attitude that Dhoni shows is ridiculous. He seems to think that he is indispensable and nobody can replace him. What could be the logic behind dropping someone like Shami, who soaked in the pressure so well in his debut game against Pakistan?
Also, why did you draft Pujara into the team if you think he doesn’t deserve a place in the playing XI? If you wouldn’t play him now, when will you?” Bedi told Mail Today. “ He felt that if he was at the crease for two more overs, India would have won the match.
Does he think that those sitting on the other side of the table just don’t understand anything? He is taking Indian cricket to an all- time low just to satisfy his own ego. Will he now get away with murder?” Bedi feels that the current outfit is anything but a team at the moment.
“Just look at the likes of Gautam Gambhir, Suresh Raina and Yuvraj Singh among others. They all got in, scored half- centuries and threw their wickets away. They knew it pretty well that if they score fifties, then experts won’t be able to criticise them and they will retain their places in the side. This is ridiculous and sad as far as the future of Indian cricket is concerned,” he lamented.
Bedi feels N Srinivasan is to blame for the current position of Indian cricket.
“Srinivasan has been the person responsible for India’s dismal performances in the last year- and- a- half. And his open support for Dhoni and his ways haven’t helped Indian cricket. Where else would you find the captain of the team deciding that a technology — DRS — shouldn’t be implemented and the national board — BCCI — taking his side and fighting with the international body — ICC?” Bedi questioned.
Bedi blasts Dhoni for India's plightBy Baidurjo Bhose | Mail Today – Sun 13 Jan, 2013 10:21 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- ENG wickets (By Super Over)vs. ENGPAK3rd T20IMon, Nov 30, 2015Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesEngland vs Pakistan T20 Se...
- AFG won by 12 runsvs. OMNAFG2nd T20IMon, Nov 30, 2015Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Oman T20 Se...
- AUS won by 3 wkts.vs. NZAUS3rd TestFri, Nov 27, 2015Adelaide, AustraliaTrans-Tasman Trophy, 2015...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. SAIND4th TestThu, Dec 03, 2015Delhi, IndiaSouth Africa in India Test...
- vs. SLNZ1st TestWed, Dec 09, 2015Wed, Dec 09, 2015Dunedin, New ZealandSri Lanka in New Zealand T...
- vs. WIAUS1st TestThu, Dec 10, 2015Thu, Dec 10, 2015Hobart, AustraliaThe Frank Worrell Trophy, ...