The BCCI is expected to announce a new team sponsor on Monday, following a meeting of its marketing committee in Chennai.
Sahara India, whose three-and-a-half year contract ends on December 31, has again thrown its hat in the ring along with STAR India Pvt. Ltd. and a few other entities.
The winner will get the opportunity to display its logo on the clothing of the senior men's team, the under-19 men's team, the men's 'A' team, and the senior women's team. "Bids will be accepted until 3 pm on Monday, and immediately after the deadline, the Amitabh Chaudhary-headed marketing committee meeting will begin,” said an official.
The BCCI had earlier said that "it is intended that the bids will be opened, evaluated, and the tender awarded in the presence of bidders”. Sahara has been paying the BCCI Rs. 3.34 crore per international match that the Indian men's team plays since July 2010.
In the new tender document, however, the reserve price has been reduced to Rs. 1.5 crore per international match while for matches in International Cricket Council and Asian Cricket Council events the base price has been further cut to Rs. 60 lakh per game.
The new sponsorship will be for three years and three months, from January 1, 2014, to March 31, 2017. As per the tender document, the Indian team is scheduled to play 35 Tests, 65 One-Day Internationals and 17 T20 Internationals, including ICC and ACC events, during this period. These figures could, however, change.
"A lot of research was done by the BCCI before finalising the tender document. On the basis of that research and also considering the market sentiment, the base had been reduced. This is because we wanted more people to pick up the documents (which cost Rs. 2 lakh),” a BCCI official told Mail Today.
Interestingly, the Sahara contract ending this month did not have the first right to refusal clause, an issue that led to some animosity between the Lucknowbased business conglomerate and the BCCI. This issue came up during the marketing committee meeting on November 9 in New Delhi. "Sahara has bought the tender document, but it remains to be seen if it eventually bids,” a source said.
"It has happened many times in the past that not all those who buy the tender document bid.” Even for the series sponsorship tender for the recent home encounters against Australia and the West Indies, STAR India was the only bidder though another entity purchased the tender.
BCCI to name new team sponsor
Sahara's contract ends this month but it may bid again for team jersey logo.By News Desk | Mail Today – Mon 9 Dec, 2013 10:00 AM IST
- KXIP won by 7 wkts.vs. KXIPRAJMatch 7Sun, Apr 20, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- DEL won by 4 wkts.vs. DELKOLMatch 6Sat, Apr 19, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- BLR won by 7 wkts.vs. MUMBLRMatch 5Sat, Apr 19, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. DELCHEMatch 8Mon, Apr 21, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- Upcoming matchvs. SRHKXIPMatch 9Tue, Apr 22, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- vs. CHERAJMatch 10Wed, Apr 23, 2014Wed, Apr 23, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
1 - 4 of 20