Wellington, Aug 1 (ANI): The likely recall of controversial Australian batsman David Warner for the third Ashes Test may reportedly spark a revival of the tourists, who are currently 2-0 down in the series.
Stuff.co.nz reports that if Australia is to avoid an embarrassingly early end to the 2013 Ashes series, it will have to pull off another feat like spin legend Shane Warne's 'Ball of the Century' in the 1993 Ashes in the Old Trafford ground, where also the current third Test will take place.
The report further said that few are giving the embattled tourists a chance as they are on a run of six straight test defeats with their batting department in disarray.
However, the report said that the left-handed Warner is back in action in England after serving a suspension for punching England batsman Joe Root at a bar in June, after he hit 193 for Australia A against its South African counterparts last week.
Although he admitted that the Australian batsmen needed to regain their form for the crucial third Test, captain Michael Clarke however, expressed optimism over a possible Warner return, saying that his score against South Africa A is a positive considering the fact that the Australian batsmen have not made many runs so far on this tour.
According to Clarke, Warner had made it very clear that he was extremely apologetic for what occurred with Root, adding that he is aware of the expectations that come with being an Australian cricketer.
Clarke further said that he is confident that Warner has learnt from what happened in the past and is trying to put that behind him and move forward.
Meanwhile, the report said that Warner being recalled is a risk worth taking given the team's current predicament, adding that the player can come in for injury doubt Steve Smith (back) in the middle order as selectors are likely to keep Shane Watson and Chris Rogers as openers. (ANI)