Al-Qaeda's No. 2 'died of wounds from US drone attack' in Yemen

Washington, Jan 25 (ANI): Al-Qaeda's No. 2 in Yemen died of wounds sustained in a U.S. drone attack last year in southern Yemen, a report has said.

The country's official news agency and a security official said that Saeed al-Shihri, a Saudi national who fought in Afghanistan and spent six years in the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, was wounded in a missile attack in the southern city of Saada on November 28.

The agency said that he had fallen into a coma since then, Fox News reports.

It was not clear when he actually died, the report said.

According to the report, a security official said that the missile had been fired by a U.S., operated, unmanned drone aircraft.

Yemen had previously announced al-Shihri's death in a September 10 drone attack in the province of Hadramawt.

A subsequent DNA test however proved that the body recovered was not that of al-Shihri.

On Oct. 22, al-Shihri denied his own death in audio message posted on Jihadi websites.

According to the report, Al-Shihri's death is considered a major blow to al-Qaida's Yemen branch, known as Al-Qaeda in The Arabian Peninsula.

Washington considers it the most dangerous of the group's offshoots. (ANI)


Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.