Johannesburg, Jan. 9 (ANI): Acting Cricket South Africa chief executive Jacques Faul has confirmed he will not apply for the post full-time.
Faul said he doesn't see himself doing the job permanently. Sources close to him said the recent infighting was the last straw, reports Sport24.
Faul has been in the position as a stand-in since March 2012 after former CEO Gerald Majola was suspended and then dismissed due to a bonus scandal. This means the beleaguered organisation will have to search for a new boss, with Faul's tenure ending when a replacement is found.
The news comes with Cricket SA on the verge of finally determining its structure - a year after retired judge Chris Nicholson made recommendations on the make-up of the board.
The Nicholson Commission, appointed by sports minister Fikile Mbalula in 2011 and chaired by Nicholson, to investigate CSA's financial wrongdoings under Majola, recommended considerably downsizing the 22-member board and include a majority membership of independent, professionally-skilled directors.
The SA Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) held a strong view that the chairperson should be non-independent whereas the initial recommendation was that the chairperson be independent.
The dispute over the chairperson arose after the former CSA president Norman Arendse was nominated for the post but because of his former involvement with cricket, he was turned down.
Faul admitted he and acting CSA president Willie Basson had made a few mistakes but had worked hard over the past 12 months and always had the best interests of cricket at heart.
Basson's tenure is set to end at next month's Annual General Meeting - postponed several times until the board structure could be agreed upon - but there had been several attempts to get rid of him sooner by self-serving candidates jockeying for his position as president.