Dear readers, thank you for your tremendous response to 30 Days, 30 Questions.
Here's our question of the day.
We often wish life had an 'undo' button. It would prevent many unpleasant events from occurring, leaving us less to regret. As cricket fans, we all have moments we wish had not happened. If you had the power to erase one such moment, which one would it be?
Yahoo Cricket's response [by Anirban Choudhury, News Editor]: There are many events in the cricket world I wish had not happened, but the one game-changing incident I wish I could alter was Hansie Cronje's admission to match fixing in 2000. The betting scandal shook my belief in cricket. It was the end of innocence.
The memory of Cronje admitting in court to be part of the fixing syndicate still continues to haunt me because I, along with many others I'm sure, could not believe that a man of his stature could bring shame to the game.
I vividly remember thinking that Cronje could never be corrupt. He was a tremendous cricketer, a well-respected leader of men and one of the reasons behind South African cricket's revival. 'Cronjegate' opened up a can of worms in cricket and if I could travel back in time, I would surely persuade Cronje to stay away from Sanjay Chawla, the bookie with whom he was caught having the infamous phone conversation. Dramatic, but wish I could do it.
Please leave your responses in the comments below. We will republish the best ones.
Thank you for your responses (Comments have now been closed). The best ones are:
1. Kedar from Bangalore would like to undo the infamous 'Monkeygate' Sydney Test in 2008; Harbhajan Singh slapping Sreesanth and the tied 1999 World Cup semi-final match between Australia and South Africa.
2. Jyothishraj would have prevented the auction process in the Indian Premier League because he feels, "the IPL auction process has made cricket a money-making affair and time-pass affair rather than its true beauty it possessed once."
3. Madhavan from New Delhi's choice is the dropped catch by Herschelle Gibbs off Steve Waugh in a league match of the 1999 World Cup. Waugh went on to score a century as Australia won the match and this helped them get through to the final after the sides had tied their semi-finals match.
4. Tanmoy from Mumbai would have advise Vinod Kambli to be more disciplined and not let success enter his head (which ultimately led to his downfall).
5. Bangalore's MudassarN wants to erase India's exit at the group stage of the 2007 World Cup; and instead ensure the team reached at least the semi-finals or final of the tournament.
6. Ankit says he would like to undo the spot-fixing scandal that lead to the imprisonments of Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamer.
7. The one incident that most rankles Piyush is Trevor Chappell's under-arm delivery in 1981, which he describes as "disgraceful".
8. A from Thane would like to undo Sir Don Bradman's last Test innings in which he was out for a duck.
9. Vinay from Pune wants to undo the last delivery of a match in Sharjah bowled by Chetan Sharma that Javed Miandad hit for six to give Pakistan a memorable win.
10. Gautam wants to reverse the moment David Hussey hit a shot to mid-on and was caught as Sri Lanka won the match and knocked India out of the 2012 Commonwealth Bank tri-series.
Join us for the next 30 Day, 30 Questions episode soon!