3,000 people missing in Uttarakhand: Bahuguna

Dehradun, June 30 (IANS) Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna Sunday put the number of people missing in the flash floods in the state at 3,000.

"After taking into consideration all the missing-person reports lodged in this state and elsewhere, I have been told that the number of those missing is around 3,000," Bahuguna told reporters here.

He said instructions have been given that kin of all missing people should report the matter to the authorities.

"We will give the compensation amount to the next of kin of the missing if they give us an affidavit," the chief minister said.

The incessant and intense rains that hit Uttarakhand over three days from June 14 triggered flash floods and landslides, leading to hundreds of deaths, while hundreds more are missing. Over 100,000 people have been evacuated so far from the affected areas.


Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.