It might be called a carnival, but the mind games have already started in the IPL. With the opening match set to be played under lights at the Eden Gardens, Delhi Daredevils wanted to train in the evening on Sunday.
But Kolkata Knight Riders refused to share the ground with the visitors, forcing Daredevils to train in the afternoon under the sun. That wasn’t all. Even the net bowlers were way below par and ultimately the likes of Aashish Kapoor had to chip in.
A livid Daredevils official said that the situation could have been easily avoided.
“Initially they asked us to train at four. But we wanted to train under lights and wanted to come at six. But KKR refused to share the training ground with us. As a result we were again forced to come at four,” the official told Mail Today. “ In fact, they were reluctant to turn on the floodlights even as the natural light was fading. I think they are forgetting that you will get what you give. I hope they won’t mind when we ask them to train in the morning in Raipur — venue of Daredevils’ home match against KKR,” he said.
Having been forced to sweat it out in the sun, the Delhi Daredevils focused on honing their T20 skills ahead of the opening match of the season. The sweeps, glides and scoops were out of the closet and the dead defensive took a backseat.
Andre Russell has been one of the most interesting characters at the Delhi nets with his power hitting, but on Sunday, he had tough competition from skipper Mahela Jayawardene.
The Lankan looked in terrific touch as he smashed bowlers around the park. The only difference was that while it was power with elegance for Jayawardene, it was all about brute force for Russell.
Even U-19 World Cup winning captain Unmukt Chand looked to be in good nick after two tons in the just- concluded Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.
The session was supervised by coach Eric Simons, mentor TA Sekar, batting and fielding coach Trent Woodhill and bowling coach Mushtaq Ahmed.
Unmukt said momentum plays an important role and he is looking to cash in on his good form.
“Momentum is important in any format and I would like to carry my form into the IPL — definitely one of the best platforms for youngsters like us to make a mark,” he said.
Virender Sehwag and Irfan Pathan are set to join the team on Monday while Johan Botha and David Warner will arrive on Sunday night.
Fantasy Cricket: Join the game
Teams spar over training timingsBy Baidurjo Bose | Mail Today – Mon 1 Apr, 2013 9:38 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- IND won by an inn.vs. INDWI1st TestThu, Jul 21, 2016Antigua, West IndiesIndia in West Indies Test ...
- IRE won by 12 runsvs. AFGIRE5th ODITue, Jul 19, 2016Stormont, Belfast, IrelandAfghanistan in Ireland ODI...
- PAK won by 75 runsvs. PAKENG1st TestThu, Jul 14, 2016London, EnglandPakistan in England Test S...
- live match PAK 47/2 (16 Overs)vs. PAKENG2nd TestLIVEENG 589/8(D),173/1(D); PAK 198/10;Manchester, EnglandPakistan in England Test S...
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSSL1st TestTue, Jul 26, 2016Kandy, Sri LankaWarne-Muralitharan Trophy,...
- vs. NZZIM1st TestThu, Jul 28, 2016Thu, Jul 28, 2016Bulawayo, ZimbabweNew Zealand in Zimbabwe Te...
- vs. INDWI2nd TestSat, Jul 30, 2016Sat, Jul 30, 2016Kingston, Jamaica, West IndiesIndia in West Indies Test ...
1 - 4 of 20