Greater Noida: Virender Sehwag believes that for the success of a team depends on the composition of the team. In fact, Sehwag believes that India's World Cup success, in T20s and ODIs, in recent years has been mainly because of a good team.
Asked to comment on the leadership of the India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Sehwag had this to say: "India won the World T20 and the 2011 World Cup because we had a very strong side backed by Dhoni. When one has a strong team, it helps the captain to win. It happened with Australia too...They kept on winning World Cups because they were a very good team."
The dashing opener, who has two triple centuries under his belt in Test cricket, was interacting with the media during the inauguration of a cricket academy, set up by former India wicket-keeper Saba Karim. Former cricketers like Hari Gidwani, Ajay Jadeja and Vivek Razdan were also present on the occasion.
Moving away from captaincy, Sehwag said that the absence of Sachin Tednulkar would definitely be felt in the forthcoming series against Sri Lanka. "Not only the team, but the entire nation would miss him. But we should also understand that he is a 38-year-old...He should be allowed to pick and choose the series he wants to play. I am sure Sachin would be back for the Test series against New Zealand," Sehwag said.
About his own fitness, Sehwag sounded optimistic. "I played almost all the matches in IPL-V and there is no fitness issue involved now. The tour of Sri Lanka will also help me prepare for the World T20."
Sehwag was of the view that the two-and-a-half months break after IPL-V will hold the Indian team in good stead in against the Lankans.
"We generally play well in Sri Lanka...We have a good record there. We had a good rest, so the team will be in top shape," Sehwag said.
During the upcoming tour of Sri Lanka, India will play a five-match ODI series between July 21 and August 4, followed by a one-off Twenty20 International on August 7.
Asked Sehwag about his views on former India coach Greg Chappell's recent statement that some team members were working against Rahul Dravid when he was the captain, he refused to be drawn into the controversy.
"I won't like to comment on the issue," Sehwag said.
Let’s not fuss over Chappell
On the much-debated Tests versus T20 issue, Sehwag said that the shortest version of the game would not have any adverse effect on Test cricket or the quality of a player.
"Every cricketer wants to play Test cricket...Ask any youngster, he would tell you how eager he would be to be successful in Test cricket...After all, it reveals the class and character of a cricketer. You will see cricketers retiring from one-dayers to prolong their Test career but never the other way round."
Asked whether he was concerned with the performance of some of the young Indian batsmen during the India 'A' team's recent tour of the West Indies, Sehwag said: "Before I became a prominent member of the senior team, I had also gone for the 'A' tours. Some people get runs on this kind of tours and some don't..."
"That does not mean that those who fail are not good enough...The best part is that you can make mistakes and learn from it; try to rectify your mistakes in domestic cricket and come back stronger."
'SL tour ideal preparation ahead of the World T20'
Virender Sehwag feels break after IPL-V will hold the Indian team in good stead in against the Lankans.The Telegraph – Sat 7 Jul, 2012 3:22 PM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- BAN won by 3 wkts.vs. SLBANSuper League 3rd-4thSat, Feb 13, 2016Fatullah, BangladeshUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- SA won by 1 wktvs. ENGSA4th ODIFri, Feb 12, 2016Johannesburg, South AfricaEngland in South Africa OD...
- IND won by 69 runsvs. SLIND2nd T20IFri, Feb 12, 2016Ranchi, IndiaSri Lanka in India T20 Ser...
- live match ENG 167/5 (29.3 Overs)vs. ENGSA5th ODILIVECurrent Run Rate 5.66Cape Town, South AfricaEngland in South Africa OD...
- live match WI 142/5 (48.5 Overs)vs. INDWISuper League FinalLIVEIND 145/10;Mirpur, BangladeshUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- live match NZ 178/4 (62.3 Overs)vs. AUSNZ1st TestLIVEAUS 562/10; NZ 183/10;Wellington, New ZealandTrans-Tasman Trophy, 2016...
- Upcoming matchvs. IREUAE1st T20ISun, Feb 14, 2016Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIreland vs United Arab Emi...
- Upcoming matchvs. SLIND3rd T20ISun, Feb 14, 2016Visakhapatnam, IndiaSri Lanka in India T20 Ser...
- Upcoming matchvs. IREUAE2nd T20ITue, Feb 16, 2016Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIreland vs United Arab Emi...