A year ago on August 26, Unmukt Chand hit an unbeaten ton in the final of the U- 19 World Cup to help India beat Australia and lift the trophy. The start, however, wasn’t perfect for India as they lost to the West Indies in their first match, but as they say, all is well that ends well.
Looking back, Unmukt feels that even though he will always cherish the memory of lifting the trophy, the last year has matured him as a cricketer.
“While the feeling of winning the trophy has sunk in, the moment when I lifted the trophy will stay with me forever. But it is important to move on and keep focusing on the game as a lot of cricket has been played in the last year. Also, I would feel that having played numerous tournaments, I have also matured as a player,” he told Mail Today.
Asked to pick two memorable moments from the tournament, Unmukt said: “Firstly, it has to be the nail-biting win against Pakistan in the semi- final. It was really tense and victory against the arch- rivals always means a lot. Another memorable moment has to be scoring a century to help the team win the final.” Unmukt feels that gelling well as a team and having immense talent was the reason why the team managed to do so well."
“The team wasn’t about individuals. Every member in that team was immensely talented and to be honest, that made my job as skipper easier. Also, we had played a few tournaments in the lead up to the World Cup and spending quality time with each other also helped us understand each other better,” he said.
But Unmukt feels that it is important to move on and he is looking to do just that.
“To be successful, one needs to move ahead and keep doing well consistently and I am looking to do just that this season. I haven’t set any big goals, but every time I go out in the middle, I want to perform well,” he signed off.
Lifting the Cup will always be special: ChandBy Baidurjo Bose | Mail Today – Tue 27 Aug, 2013 9:03 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- ZIM won by 8 wkts.vs. ZIMSAPlate Championship SMon, Feb 08, 2016xxx-xxx-xxx, xxx-xxx-xxxUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- WI won by 5 wkts.vs. WIPAKSuper League QF 4Mon, Feb 08, 2016Fatullah, BangladeshUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- SCO won by 76 runsvs. SCOFIJPlate Championship PMon, Feb 08, 2016xxx-xxx-xxx, xxx-xxx-xxxUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. NEPPAKSuper League Play-ofTue, Feb 09, 2016Fatullah, BangladeshUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- Upcoming matchvs. SLINDSuper League SF 1Tue, Feb 09, 2016Mirpur, BangladeshUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- Upcoming matchvs. NZAFGPlate Championship STue, Feb 09, 2016xxx-xxx-xxx, xxx-xxx-xxxUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...