A day before the Central Information Commission was due to hear a case against the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), the powerful body has got a stay order against the proceedings.
The CIC had sent a notice to the BCCI and all its 30 full member units for details about the land and buildings occupied by them ahead of the hearing on July 25 and 26 here, but Board official Ratnakar Shetty told Mail Today: “The BCCI has got a stay order on the notice and we don’t need to attend any hearing on July 25 and 26 in the Capital. That is all that I can confirm to you as of now.” As Mail Today had reported on Monday, a full bench of the CIC was set to conduct the hearing on a petition filed by RTI activist Madhu Agrawal this week, and wanted the BCCI to “send your written representation before the Commission”. It had asked for information on land and buildings, including stadia allotted by the state governments, annual rents being paid by state cricket associations, copies of lease deeds, estimated market rentals, Income Tax exemption, Customs Duty exemption, Entertainment Tax exemption, and security expenses incurred by state governments for organising matches from 2007 to 2012.
This is a blow to the government and RTI activists who have been trying to establish the BCCI as a public body like all other sports federations, and bring it under the purview of the Right to Information Act. The hearing was to establish whether BCCI is a public authority and if it gets any government funding.
Madhu’s petition is a redrafted version of an existing petition filed by her well- known RTI activist husband Subhash Chandra Agrawal. That petition is pending before a one- member bench of the CIC.
Reproduced From Mail Today. Copyright 2013. MTNPL. All rights reserved
BCCI gets stay on CIC hearingBy Baidurjo Bose | Mail Today – Thu 25 Jul, 2013 8:43 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- IND won by 117 runsvs. INDSL3rd TestFri, Aug 28, 2015Colombo, Sri LankaIndia in Sri Lanka Test Se...
- ENG won by 5 runsvs. AUSENGOne-off T20IMon, Aug 31, 2015Cardiff, EnglandAustralia in England T20 S...
- AUS won by 23 runsvs. AUSIREOne-off ODIThu, Aug 27, 2015Stormont, Belfast, IrelandAustralia in Ireland ODI S...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSENG1st ODIThu, Sep 03, 2015Southampton, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...
- vs. AUSENG2nd ODISat, Sep 05, 2015Sat, Sep 05, 2015London, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...
- vs. AUSENG3rd ODITue, Sep 08, 2015Tue, Sep 08, 2015Manchester, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...