New Delhi: Specific cases of individual players regarding the one-time benefit were not discussed at the previous BCCI working committee meeting, at which the scheme was approved. So to say that Kapil Dev or any other player has been completely ruled out of the scheme is not exactly correct, a top Board official said on Wednesday.
After the BCCI excluded Kapil’s name from the list containing names of 65 players for distribution of cheques during the last four IPL matches, rumours started doing the rounds that the legendary all-rounder has been “denied” the purse.
A high-ranking BCCI official, who attended the May 12 working committee meeting at which president N Srinivasan informed the members about the scheme, said that neither individual cases were discussed nor was the entire list of beneficiaries disclosed.
“When Mr Srinivasan made the powerpoint presentation at the meeting, he or any other official did not discuss who all would be not considered for the scheme or what would happen to those who were connected to the now-defunct rebel India Cricket League (ICL),” the official told MAIL TODAY. “The president didn’t even announce the names of players who were going to be invited. He only said that a decision would be taken later.”
BCCI honours 15 veteran cricketers
BCCI ‘stops’ benefit purse to Kirti Azad for opposing IPL
BCCI denies one-time payment benefit to Kirti Azad, Azhar, Kapil
There’s a belief that since Kapil was chairman of the ICL board and apparently didn’t accept the amnesty offer, he has probably been axed. But the BCCI official did not completely rule Kapil out from getting the benefit purse meant for players who retired by March 2004.
“Has the Board written to Kapil that he wouldn’t get the benefit? BCCI could be in two minds and that’s why he was not invited. It’s quite possible that the BCCI didn’t want to present him the cheque in public glare because he is part of the ongoing ICL vs BCCI case in the Delhi High Court, and that the Board felt that it would send a wrong signal to the world,” he argued. “It’s possible that the Board would invite him and hand over the cheque quietly, in private.”
As per the different slabs, Kapil is entitled to receive Rs 1.5 crore for playing more than 100 Tests. The official argued on the same lines for Kirti Azad, who wants IPL to be scrapped for what he calls rampant malpractices in the lucrative tournament. Kirti, who qualifies for the Rs 50 lakh bracket for having played seven Tests and 25 ODIs (three ODIs are considered equivalent to one Test), sat on a dharna outside Ferozeshah Kotla, seeking a ban on IPL.
Confusion and rumour-mongering has started as the BCCI has not declared the entire list containing 157 players who are getting the benefit purse of Rs 67.2 crore.
Repeated calls to Srinivasan and other BCCI office-bearers elicited no response.
Meanwhile, PTI reported that former India wicketkeeper Kiran More, who was part of the ICL, has applied for amnesty with the BCCI.
Reproduced From Mail Today. Copyright 2012. MTNPL. All rights reserved.
‘Door may still not be fully shut on Kapil’
Kapil is entitled to receive Rs 1.5 crore for playing more than 100 Tests.By Qaiser Mohammad Ali | Mail Today – Thu 24 May, 2012 9:35 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- PAK won by 16 runsvs. WIPAK2nd T20ISat, Sep 24, 2016Dubai, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs West Indies T2...
- PAK won by 9 wkts.vs. WIPAK1st T20IFri, Sep 23, 2016Dubai, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs West Indies T2...
- SCO won by 53 runsvs. HKSCO2nd ODISat, Sep 10, 2016Raeburn Place, Edinburgh, ScotlandHong Kong in Scotland ODI ...
- live match BAN 1/0 (0.4 Overs)vs. AFGBAN1st ODILIVECurrent Run Rate 1.5Mirpur, BangladeshAfghanistan in Bangladesh ...
- live match SA 84/0 (13.3 Overs)vs. IRESAOne-off ODILIVECurrent Run Rate 6.22Benoni, South AfricaIreland in South Africa OD...
- live match IND 377/5 (107.2 Overs)vs. NZIND1st TestLIVENZ 262/10; IND 318/10;Kanpur, IndiaNew Zealand in India Test ...
- Upcoming matchvs. IREAUSOne-off ODITue, Sep 27, 2016Benoni, South AfricaAustralia vs Ireland ODI S...
- vs. WIPAK3rd T20ITue, Sep 27, 2016Tue, Sep 27, 2016Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs West Indies T2...
- vs. AFGBAN2nd ODIWed, Sep 28, 2016Wed, Sep 28, 2016Mirpur, BangladeshAfghanistan in Bangladesh ...