Formerly known as the Athletic Ground it was established in 1882 and has a seating capacity of 6500. The first ODI to be played here was between England and Sri Lanka on June 11, 1983. For many years the playing area was circled by a greyhound track, removed in the 1970s. The towers of St. James’, St. George’s and St. Mary’s churches rise behind the pavilion, and the Quantock Hills overlook the other end. The main entrance gates are named after JC White, who plied his trade here from 1909 to 1937. The county established itself here in 1882, although the first Championship match was not played here until 1891. The record attendance was in 1948 when 10,000 packed in to see Don Bradman’s Australians. The venue also staged one-day internationals during the 1983 and 1999 World Cups. In 2006 Taunton was unveiled as the official home of English women’s cricket.