Unused since 1999 and sold for redevelopment, it was first set up in the year 1885. It first hosted an official ODI on June 16, 1983 between Australia and Zimbabwe for a capacity crowd of 7000. This 115-year-old county ground hosted its first ODI between Australia and Zimbabwe on June 16, 1983. It was in the 1960’s that the famous link between the two pavilions was built and a relic from the Cunard Line-Athlone Castle was installed. The major development in the 1980’s was the County Club, used for squash and in the 1990’s Phillip Mead Stand was erected.