One of the oldest stadiums of India, it was established in 1937, this stadium seems to have lost its splendour now except for an occasional first class match that is played here. This ground is not as big as compared to other grounds in Mumbai with a capacity of 20000. The stadium was built on a piece of land which Lord Brabourne, the then Governor of Bombay, presented to the Cricket Club of India after being tempted with an offer of immortality in the bargain. It was officially opened on December 7 1937 and hosted its first test from December 9-13, 1948 between India and the West Indies. Designed by Neville de Mello, he wanted this ground to be the Lords of India. One day cricket was brought to this ground in 1989 when Australia played Pakistan. After it was built, the Pentangular shifted here from the Bombay Gymkhana in 1937-38 and it was here that Vijay Merchant - Vijay Hazare rivalry was played out. When Wankhede was built, this ground completely lost its charm, until India played Australia in a T20 match in 2007.