Abhimanyu Mithun of Karnataka became the 20th bowler to earn India cap after achieving the hat-trick in Ranji Trophy or achieving the hat-trick after representing India as he made his test debut against Sri Lanka in the first test at Galle in Jul 2010.
Abhimanyu Mithun earned the distinction of becoming the fourth bowler to don the national colours after performing the hat-trick on debut in Ranji Trophy. The other three are - VB Ranjane, SA Ankola and J Srinath.
The following are the particular of these four bowlers who have performed the hat-trick on debut and played for India: VB Ranjane of Maharashta vs Saurashtra at Pune in 1956-57 : SA Ankola of Maharashta vs Gujarat at Pune in 1988-89 : J Srinath of Karnataka vs Hyderabad at Secunderabad in 1989-90 and A Mithun of Karnataka vs Uttar Pradesh at Meerut in 2009-10.
The following is the list of bowlers who represented India and performed the feat later:
- - M Baqa Jilani of North India vs Southern Punjab at Amritsar in 1934-35.
- - SN Bannerjee of Bihar vs Delhi at Jamshedpur at Jamshedpur in 1948-49
- - CT Sarwate of Holkar vs Bihar at Jamshedput in 1948-49
- - P Sen of Bengal vs Orissa at Cuttack in 1954-55
- - S Nyalchand of Saurashtra vs Bardoda at Dhragadhra in 1961-62
- - BS Bedi of Delhi vs Punjab at Delhi in 1968-69
- - UN Kulakarni of Mumbai vs Gujarat at V Vidyanagar in 1972-73
- - A Raghuram Bhat of Karnataka vs Mumbai at Bangalore in 1981-82
- - B Arun of Tamilnadu vs Goa at Panaji in 1986-87
- - A Kumble of Karnataka vs Andhra at Vizag in 1991-92
- - A Kumble of Karnataka vs Orissa at Rourkela in 1997-98
- - Arshad Ayub of Hyderabad vs Kerala at Kottayam in 1993-94
- - M Karthik of Railways vs Vidharbha at Delhi in 1996-97
- - A Mishra of Haryana vs Him Pradesh at Rohtak in 2001-02 and
- - S Sreesanth of Kerala vs Him Pradesh at Palakkad in 2004-05
Note: A Kumble is the only bowler to perform the feat on two occasions - against Andhra and against Orissa.