The man who could do it all!
Ian Terence Botham, arguably England's most
famous cricketer and one of the great all-rounders the game has seen, was born
on 24 November 1955 in Heswall, Cheshire. While a controversial player both on
and off the field at times, Botham also held a number of Test cricket records,
and still holds the record for the highest number of wickets taken by an
England bowler (383).
He has 14 Test centuries to his name; and also took
145 wickets and scored 2113 runs in ODIs.
In March 1980, Botham played for
Scunthorpe United, where he played as a centre half and made 11 appearances in
the Football League.
Botham was part of the trio of Sir Viv Richards and Joel
Garner, who were central to Somerset's golden age in the early 1980s. Botham,
who is now a TV commentator with Sky, was knighted in 2007.
One of the main
highlights of his Test career was the 1981 Ashes Tour, which was known as
Botham's Ashes for his stellar show.
He is also a conscientious fundraiser for
charitable causes, undertaking long-distance charity walks and doing untold
work for leukemia research.
- vs. IREAFGFinalSat, Nov 30, 2013Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesICC World Twenty20 Qualifi...
- SA won by 4 wkts.vs. PAKSA3rd ODISat, Nov 30, 2013Centurion, South AfricaPakistan in South Africa O...
- NED won by 8 wkts.vs. NEDSCOQualifying Play-offThu, Nov 28, 2013Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesICC World Twenty20 Qualifi...
- live match IND 124/5 (25.5 Overs)vs. INDSA1st ODILIVESA 358/4;Johannesburg, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- live match AUS 273/5 (91 Overs)vs. ENGAUS2nd TestLIVECurrent Run Rate 3Adelaide, AustraliaThe Ashes 2013-14...
- live match WI 168/2 (49 Overs)vs. WINZ1st TestLIVEWI 213/10; NZ 609/9(D);Dunedin, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
- vs. INDSA2nd ODISun, Dec 08, 2013Sun, Dec 08, 2013Durban, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- vs. PAKAFGOne-off T20ISun, Dec 08, 2013Sun, Dec 08, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Pakistan T2...
- vs. WINZ2nd TestTue, Dec 10, 2013Tue, Dec 10, 2013Wellington, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
Latest Photo Albums
Action images from New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg, December 5, 2013. More » South Africa vs India, 1st ODI
Action images from the second Ashes Test at the Adelaide Oval from December 5-9, 2013. More » 2nd Test: Australia vs England
Action images from the first Test between New Zealand and West Indies at Dunedin, December 3-7, 2013. More » 1st Test: New Zealand vs West Indies
All the best quotes from the month of December in this collection. More » Soundbyte — December 2013
India captain MS Dhoni, who has been named the winner of the People’s Choice Award, done through online voting; has been nominated for the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for The Cricketer of The … More » ICC Awards 2013: Dhoni leads nomination list
We take a look at some bald cricketers in this collection. Needless to say, they do/did know how to get into the opposition's hair with their performances. More » Cricket's bald performers
Tendulkar's new role, Irish joy, Vinay gets married, long time coming for Pakistan, and more. More » Cricket Photos of The Week 01.12.13
Mark Boucher's ability with the gloves, in front of the stumps and behind them, made him a name to reckon with for a career spanning 14 years. Sadly, he had to retire in 2012 after being hit in the eye during … More » Mark Boucher: Keeping his wits
All the best quotes from the month of November in this collection. More » Soundbyte — November 2013
Ireland won the ICC World Twenty20 qualifier title for the third time in four appearances with a 68-run victory over Afghanistan at Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi … More » ICC World Twenty20 Qualifier Final
Matt Prior, Monty Panesar, Stuart Broad, Jonathan Bairstow, Boyd Rankin and Graeme Swann visited the world heritage site at Ayers Rock as they look to bounce back from a difficult start to their Ashes tour of Australia. Ayers Rock - or Uluru as it is known by Australia's indigenous population - is … More » Graeme Swann & The English Boomerang